Ms. Karen 
I remember finding out about your mom from Doug, before I knew either of you. At the time I couldn't imagine how scary it must have been  Now that I know you both I am so impressed with the strength of your are all so warm and has been so nice getting to know you guys better!  You are doing a wonderful thing...i know your mom(and dad) must be so proud of you.  Good luck in your race..we will be cheering for you!! 

Halea Blair
Near the end of march, on my way home from a softball game, I recieved a call from my Aunt saying that she was going to pick me up. My mom said that she was going to get me that day when I am back at school. I asked my Aunt why my mom is not here, and she said that she was in the hospital. I did not know why she was there, at first I thought she got in an accident, then i thought that she was hurt. All of these thoughts had ran through my head. My mom was fine sunday night, the night before all our lives changed. My mom was in the hospital for five days without my brother,sister, and I knowing what was wrong with her. We went to school worrying and not knowing what was going on with our mother, until friday afternoon. My dad picked me up from school and said, "Your mom has AML Lukemia and she will be fine." He explained to me in the car, what she will be going through, and how long she will be in the hospital. She was in the hospital for six weeks. During those six weeks going to school was hard, but i had my guidance cancouler, an amazing health teacher, and Chelsea, who is amazing and helped me through these hard tough months of school. It has been just about five months since my mom was diagnosed and she just found out today that she is going to probably use her sisters bone marrow. Her sister, who is my Aunt is also amazing and has helped me through these times. I still do worry about me mom, and not only about the transplant, but if she will fully recover. I worry about my dad, sister, brother, and even me getting sick, because cancer IS a scary thing. But I do know that my mom is strong and all my life she has never showed  weekness. I do know that not only she will become mentaly stronger from this, I know that this will change all of our lives. It will make us all closer as a family, and it will always remembered. I do belive that next year my family will be relaxing in Hawaii, my mom WILL be cancer free, we will not worry as much, and we will all be a happy family. I like hearing about other peoples stories, about there moms, dads, or siblings getting treatment and learning that they survived from it all. My mom liked hearing peoples stories as well. 

Jen Link
Hi Chels, I just returned home from staying in your beach house. I saw your flyer on the fridge and was completely blown away by it! I am so proud of you!!!   You are an amazing girl! The more I thought about it, I guess I am not at all suprised, because your Mom is pretty amazing, too - and it looks like you are taking right after her! I can only hope that my two little girls grow up to be just like you!  What a wonderful way to put a positive spin on something so negative.  I am very impressed with your website  - it rocks! I love all of the photos! You will also be happy to know that my Mom toured Lewes one afternoon and saw your flyer posted in the local museum, just thought you'de want to know.  I promise that I will send your link to everyone I know. I sent you a donation because there is no other cause more worthy! Keep up the amazing effort and I wish you the best at reaching your goal!    I don't have alot of time to volunteer these days, but I can totally help you spread the word!     Lots of love, Jen Link and family...

Thanks to the Link family and to Jen, who has known my mom since high school, has gotten us so involved with LLS.

Ryan Stinchcomb
When i was 14, I found out that my dad had cancer. He was diagnosed with melanoma in the Summer of 08. My dad had surgery to get a mole removed on his back and they found out i was cancerous. The doctors had to go back and do surgery under his armpit to remove lymphnodes that they thought were cancerous. After a couple of months, the doctors announced again that the cancer had spread and that he had three tumors in his body and a broken rib. My dad then had to go into the hospital for another 3 weeks to go under a cell transplant, kemotherapy, and a week of rest. It was toward the beginning of the school year when my dad went into the hospital, and the scariest moment happened when my mom called to tell me that after the surgery, he wouldnt stop bleeding. My heart was racing and i didnt know what could happen from there. I couldnt even imagine my life without my dad. After coming home from the hospital he still didnt feel great, but he was just happy to be home with his family. Month after month, my dad was getting better and better. Pretty soon, he would be going to work a couple times a week, driving my sister and i to places, and moving around like his old self. This summer my dad has played golf, gone away on trips, and has stayed out later than he used to stay. After almost a year, my dad is feeling like his old self and without this experience in my life, i never would have realized what other people have gone through. I now am able to realize how hard other people have it when they lose someone they love to cancer. My dad is currently finishing up his first year of remission and hoping for many more. 

Samantha Stinchcomb
Hi I'm Samantha Stinchcomb and I just want to say that your website is incredible. See, my dad had/has skin cancer. I can't even remeber the first day I was told, I was 11. I cried myself to sleep every night after that, sometimes I still do. My dad went through a lot of treatment and most didnt work until his last one. He almost died during his last one. Actually, my mom was going to take me and my brother to the hospital to say good-bye to him. But my dad has always been strong. I never saw him cry during this whole 2 year long expierence. He pulled through and is with us today. He's living happily,somewhat healthy and he's doing pretty much everything he was before! But everyday of my life, I always think; 'What would have happened if I lost my daddy?' And everyday I say to myself; "You didn't and you shouldn't think of that!' Through out this expierence I've noticed that friends make life so much better. My friends cried with me, laughed with me, held me, helped me, throughout this. I love them till death. BUT, my point is, you making a website was so brave.! I cried just writing Good luck, I hope your mom stays healthy forvever! 

Kim Carruth 

My name is Kim Carruth and I am the lady you met today at Central Christian who has Stage 3 Breast Cancer.  I had an abnormal mammogram, and after the repeat, I was sent for a biopsy.  They did the biopsy in 4 places, and on July 1, 2009 I was informed that I had cancer in my right breast and in at least one lymph node in my armpit.  Before the biopsy results came back, I KNEW I had cancer, yet I was somehow at peace.  I didn't even cry when I found out.  I went through a "Oh why me?" stage for about 3 minutes, and then it was time to get as much information as I could about the disease and the options.  I decided to face this thing head-on.  When I met with my oncologist, I learned that my cancer was aggressive, so I had to have chemo before any surgery.  I was to have 6 rounds, 1 every 3 weeks.  I decided to be particular chemo treatment would make me lose my hair, so I went to my hair stylist and had her shave my head.  The thought of it coming out in the shower as I washed my hair did not appeal to me.  After the second round, the hair that was growing back began to fall out.  That was the first and last time I cried about cancer.  It felt stupid that I was upset...after all, I KNEW it was going to happen.  But emotions are not always something you can control.  My last round is this Tuesday!  The hard part is almost over!  Chemo takes a lot out of you, physically as well as mentally.  I have a seven year old son who has had to grow up way too fast because of this.  I decided it was important to be as honest as possible about what was happening to me.  He has really been an angel and is so helpful when I am in my "chemo cave".  This is the term I use when the chemo hits my body the hardest, about 3 days after the treatment.  He doesn't mind sharing his feelings about fact, last week he let his teacher know that my last treatment was coming up this Tuesday - so he was really happy!  I will have surgery in the beginning of January to remove both breasts.  Then I will have 5 weeks of daily radiation.  And finally, I will have reconstructive surgery.  So, my journey through this is far from over, but the worst is almost behind me.  What I want to share is that there is a reason why this has happened to me.  It is making me a stronger person.  It has helped me to not "sweat the small stuff" because in the scheme of things, it is ALL small stuff.  It has helped me try to live every day to the fullest.  It has helped me share myself with others

Mark Carson
He is the cute little brown eyed, blonde headed, 7 year- old boy in the picture you see at the top left hand of your screen. He is a 2nd grader at St. Margaret's School located in Bel Air, Maryland .
Mark has every Star Wars episode memorized that would certainly make George Lucas proud. Mark has learned with the help of his sister and Uncle George to master video games and loves his Star Wars games which only can have the full effect with volume cranked to level 10+++ regardless of what his parents' input is. 
Mark has only recently discovered that something is very different about his muscles. One day, he was trying on his school gym outfit and he asked me if he was going to be the slowest kid in his gym class again this year. I sat stunned without words to respond with. I hadn't realized he was even aware of his deficits so soon!
On a brighter note, he has become a stronger swimmer and now swims without the use of his "swimmies." His dad has taught him how to retrieve toys from the bottom of 4 foot pool. Now, often he says, "Mom, do you want to see me do it again?" I want to say, "I want to see you do it forever!"
Mark was diagnosed on July 7th, 2004. An anniversary date a parent never forgets. A Neurologist ordered blood work and a muscle biopsy, and a diagnosis was confirmed. We suspected that something was just not right with Mark because he struggled with ascending steps, fell quite often, and used his hands to push himself off the floor all of the time. He could not even jump from the floor.
Mark takes about 7 pills a day. To look at Mark, a person would never suspect he has this disease, for NOW. Mostly due to the powerful steroid called, prednisone. Prednisone only helps for so long and comes with harmful side effects.

Kristen Butler
I'd like to first start by saying I met Kim Byrns about 2 years ago.  We are work out buddies.  For nearly a year I had NO idea she had had cancer.  We were doing one of our grueling Stair workouts and she casually commented on how her hair grew back after Chemo.  I was floored because here I had been working out side by side her and never once thought she had had cancer.  I saw the livstrong band and thought that perhaps if was somebody she new and supported.  At any rate this past May, My Mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer.  She is 67 and it came as a complete shock to all of us.  Kim has been an amazing supporter to me and I was in constant contact with her while my Mother was in surgery at Fox Chance Cancer Center.  She also gave me a book to give my Mother and many livestrong bands for my family to wear. 

My Mother has had a really rough time.  The cancer had spread to her lung before they could preform surgery so she ended up hospitalized 5 days prior because she couldn't breath.  Her lung was tapped for about 2 weeks to allow the fluid to continue to drain post op!  During surgery they discovered that it had pretty much invaded her entire abdomen and placked itself on most everything it could.  Surgery took 6 hours, they preformed a complete hysterectomy, removed a portion of her spleen, resected her bowl (now she has a temporary ostomy bag) and scraped the cancer from her abdominal wall, bladder and other surrounding areas.  She went through a grueling 18 week Chemo schedule.  Receiving Carbo andTaxol every three weeks and Taxol every week.   During her first treatment  She had,a terrible allergic reaction to the Taxol so her infusions that were supposed to be 2 to 3 hours turned into 7-9 hour days because they had to pump her full of steriods, benedryl and slow the drip on the Chemo. 

During this time, she had to have blood transfusions three times, receiving 2 units of blood each time. Feeling awful after each transfusion. Finally, her iron levels, red and white blood cells were not rising so they had to change her chemo to once every three weeks.  She finally finished her Chemo about 4 weeks ago.  She met with her Dr.s last week and they the ordered a CAT scan and CA 125 test to compare to the last one which was done the final week of her Chemo.  Her CA 125 level was down to a 9 after having been over 4,000 after surgery which was  fantastic news.  However, her CAT scan showed a 2 inch area of concern.....perhaps pocket of fluid or mass.  Getting conflicting stories.  Anyhow, she had a biopsy on Friday and we are waiting on the results.  I am so scared and really want good news for my Mother.  My Sister and I planned  a trip to Disney with her children,  my children and my Father as a celebration trip that she had finished Chemo and was effectively in remission.  We leave for Disney on the 29th and scheduled to receive news on the biopsy  results Wednesday!  She is so down right now and really feeling defeated.  I don't know what to say or do and to be honest I am scared as hell!  I am 41 but soooooo not ready to loose my Mother. 
I have been wondering if there are  support groups, or foundations that host funsraisers, etc for Cancer  that I can get involved in.  I want to support her as much as I can and others going through this awful disease.  It doesn't just effect the person with the Cancer it effects the entire family.

Olivia Macchio

July 4th 2016 I was at driving around looking for parking in downtown Lewes. I came across a lemonade stand and decided to stop. I figured I would give these kids 5 dollars just for fun. When I handed the girl 5 dollars she said, "Thank you! Some of this money is being donated to cancer!." I asked her to tell me more. It was being donated to the LLS. Olivia, 9 years old, is currently in remission from Burkitt's Lymphoma. July 5th 2016 was her one year check up! This warrior was also the LLS Girl of the Year. I was blown away with the beauty and strength of such a young girl! This is exactly why we do what we do, to help others fight for a second chance! She just proves that it is all worth it!  Her siblings and cousins were so excited for Olivia! They kept yelling, "she beat cancer!". Fighting back the tears, a big smile formed on my face. A beautiful 9 year old girl just taught me a lesson. She reminded me how precious life is! So next time we are feeling down, remember fighters like Olivia, this is why we need to continue to Shock Cancer!



We want to hear your stories! Email me:

Alli Burns

First I like to start off saying that Chelsea and Betty shock are like my family and inspire me so much! They are amazing people and I love them dearly. They help me through my times of struggle and fear, and I offer my help and advice when they are in need. About 6 years ago my mom, Kim Burns was diagnosed with stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. This cancer was found in her ovaries when my 6 year sister, Haley was born through a C-Section because of a 16 centimeter tumor was blocking the birth canal. My mom went through many surgeries, chemo, and radiation. To this day I can proudly say that my mom is a healthy and strong cancer survivor. She is not only a survivor but an inspiration to my family and I! About two years ago my mom had a scare that her cancer had come back. This was the worst day of my life, I was so scared and did not no what to do. All I could think about was death and sickness and not making it through since she had already been through it once! She went in for surgery about a week after the news, and good news came out of it she was cancer free! I was so happy and my mom couldn’t have done it without the support my her friends and family, especially Chelsea who was a phone call away when I needed her the most. Around the same time my mom was diagnosed with cancer, Mrs. Betty was also diagnosed with Lymphoma cancer. Chelsea, I, Mrs. Betty, and my mom stuck together as a TEAM and gave each other strength and passion to make it though okay. Chelsea and I are very proud and inspired by are mothers since they both are survivors to this day. In honor of this incredible thing we are going to run a half marathon in San Francisco, California. This is going to be one of the most memorable things that has ever happened to me and I am so happy to share it with my hero, my mom, and my true best friend Chelsea and her mom and also my other hero, Mrs. Betty to I feel this is important to give back and help all the poor cancer patients that may not be as lucky to be survivors like my mom and Mrs. Betty.  Chelsea, thanks for everything I love you so much! And Thank YOU supporters so very much for your support and time. 

 Betty, Chelsea, Alli and Kim at the Livestrong run!

Click here to read the Baltimore Suns "For John Carroll's Chelsea Shock, lacrosse came second to service."

Below are articles written in the JC Patriot about Shock Cancer.

Junior goes the distance to “shock cancer”
Written by Taylor Schafer, Features Editor

At 5 a.m. on Sunday, October 18, most of JC was sleeping off a night of dancing, but junior Chelsea Shock was awake in San Francisco, getting ready to run a race that she will never forget.

 The names of sponsors from her Shock Cancer fundraisers written in Sharpie covered her arms, legs, and face while wearing she wore knee-high socks, and a tutu to match her mom. As music played, they, along with 20,000 other women crammed the course to begin the first of the 13.1 miles of the Nike Women’s Half-Marathon, which benefited the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Betty Shock, Chelsea’s mother and a five year Hodgkin’s Lymphoma survivor, found this as the perfect opportunity to celebrate overcoming the cancer. Both of them had been training with Team in Training, a sports program connected to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, for months in preparation for the race.

 “The race was gorgeous. Mile six and nine were both up mountains, but mile ten was downhill on the beach which was beautiful,” said Chelsea, “We got to run past the Golden Gate Bridge and saw everything you would want to see in San Francisco.”

At the last mile, Chelsea was exhausted, “But when I saw the finish line, I just sprinted towards it.”

Greeted with a hug from San Francisco firefighters dressed in tuxedos, Chelsea and her mother, along with all of the women participants, received a Tiffany’s box with a silver necklace inside that read “Nike Women’s Half-Marathon.”

Chelsea said, “Everyone was so supportive, just cheering you on through the end.”

The night before the race, there was a pre-race dinner held at the Marriot Hotel. “Everyone just cheered for us as we walked in; my mom and I just cried. It was so inspirational,” Chelsea said, “It was also so great to hear everyone’s stories. I’ve never heard so many people say ‘I’ve had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma’ before.”

Though most of Shock’s efforts through Shock Cancer went toward the race, she does not plan to stop there. “It’s going to keep going. My church, Central Christian, is letting me celebrate mass on December 6, to share my story and have lunch [with the parishioners],” said Chelsea.

JC teen helps “Shock cancer”
Written by Taylor Schafer, Features Editor

Every day, junior Chelsea Shock wakes up and thinks back to the most challenging and life-changing day she has ever experienced.

As soon as then 11-year-old Chelsea walked into her house from school, she knew something was wrong. She walked upstairs to her mom’s room and found both of her parents sitting there, silently preparing to tell her the heartbreaking news.

Thinking about all the possibilities it could be, Chelsea fearfully asked, “Mom, do you have cancer?” “Yes,” replied Betty Shock, a now five year Hodgkin’s lymphoma survivor. 

After finding out about her mom’s diagnosis in 2003, Chelsea did not automatically know how sick her mother was going to get. Betty’s cancer was wrapped around her sternum, and although she had stage two, she was treated as though she had stage four. This meant more intense radiation treatments, which made Betty feel as though she had swallowed nails.  “It is crazy to think how someone could be that sick. Mom never lost all her hair though; it just became very thin and short,” said Chelsea.

From that point on, Chelsea immediately knew she wanted to help the cause. Betty then got involved with Team in Training, a sports training program that is connected to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.”It really hit me that I wanted to do something with my life originally at the Team in Training event, the night before my mom’s first marathon. I listened to all of these people share their stories, and I asked my mom if I could run with her the next day. Of course, I couldn’t because I hadn’t trained, but I definitely regret not doing it with her,” said Chelsea.

In her mother’s honor, Shock started a foundation and a website called ShockCancer to support others affected by the disease.”We tried to think of a name, and then we thought of ShockCancer. It just stuck. It was perfect,” Shock said.

Besides functioning as a support system by hearing stories of others affected by cancer and giving advice, Chelsea’s website has a variety of links and updates for fundraising and events.  On September 10, Chelsea held a successful event sponsored by and held at Italian Sensations in Fallston. With the help of the community, the event raised over $750 from generous donations and percentages of meals purchased. “I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for coming out to support me,” Chelsea  expressed. There was also another event for ShockCancer at La Tolteca in Churchville on September 29, in which over $1600 was raised. 

Besides holding events, giving support to others, and getting donations from the community, Chelsea and her mother have been hard at work in preparation with the Maryland chapter of Team in Training. On October 18, the mother/daughter duo will be running along with 20,000 other participants in the Nike Women’s San Francisco Half-Marathon, which benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Of those runners, about 25 percent are partners with Team in Training. 

Although Chelsea’s main goal of the fundraising was to  sponsor her mother and herself in the upcoming run in San Francisco, she does not plan to stop there. “I have spent so many hours thinking about what more I can do like working on my website and fundraising.  I absolutely love doing this,” Chelsea  stated. “I never thought I was capable of doing what I have done within the past few months. So that goes to show, never say you can’t do something. Anything is possible.”

For more information on ShockCancer or to contact Chelsea visit

Taylor Schafer can be reached for comment at

Thanks to the JC Patriot for all of their support!